Expect to see shortcut keys like Ctrl + Alt + Del and Alt + F4? Nope. This is a list of no common sense and little-known computer tips you will actually use.
1. To open Chrome’s built-in task manager: Press Shift + Esc. Extremely useful when Chrome freezes.
2. To remove specific suggestion: Select the suggestion, then press Shift + Delete. Go and delete your embarrassing searches.
3. To drag multiple tabs to a new window: Press Ctrl + Click on tabs you want to move. Do the same to move multiple tabs to an existing window.
4. To scroll horizontally: Press Shift + Scroll.
5. To access your address bar directly: Press F6 or Ctrl + L.
6. To access blocked web page: Go to Google Translate, paste the URL, select source language as other language, select destination language as the web page’s language, click Translate. Free web proxy.
7. To close a tab: Middle click on it.
8. To view articles with slideshows or multiple pages: Press Print or Ctrl + P.
9. To open all web pages of a bookmark folder: Middle click on the folder.
10. To reset to the default Window size of your web page after zooming: Press Ctrl + 0.
11. To highlight text in a web page: Click on the starting point, then press Shift + Click on the ending point. No more mouse dragging especially long text highlights.
12. To fit more bookmarks: Remove all text. Only the favicon is visible now.
13. You can undo send your mail in Gmail. Turn it on now just in case!
14. When researching products, type [product name] vs to compare with their rival products.
15. To open Task Manager directly with one hand: Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc. You’re welcome.
16. To minimize every open windows except yours: Shake your active window. Do the same to maximize all windows. You sneaky Microsoft.
17. To freeze Task Manager: Hold Ctrl key. Useful for inspecting specific processes.
18. To capture the exact steps you take and document it nicely: Search psr to open Problem Steps Recorder. Try it now and you’ll be amazed.
19. To take a screenshot of the active window only: Press Alt + Print Screen. Bye Snipping Tool.
20. To delete one word at a time: Press Ctrl + Backspace.
21. To open applications on the taskbar: Press Windows key + Sequence number of the application. Do the same to minimize/maximize it.
22. To paste text without formatting: Press Ctrl + Shift + V.
23. To rename a file: Press F2. Works for multiple file too, which will append “(1), (2), etc.” at the end.
24. Open your Calculator and select View. Calculate your mortgage payment, fuel economy, vehicle lease payment, and more.
25. To boost your Wi-Fi signal: Download Virtual Router to turn your computer(s) into a Wi-Fi hotspot. It will extend the reach of your network.
26. To share your Wi-Fi access: Generate a QR code with the access details. Print the QR code and stick it on the wall.
27. Wikipedia Nearby: Pulls up articles based on your location. Extremely handy when travelling.
28. Wikipedia Random: Read random articles. Now, change your start-up page from Facebook to this.
29. To pause a video: Press K.
30. To skip 10 seconds back and forward: Press J and L respectively.
31. To search videos from a specific user only: Type @ before you search.
32. To save your time watching videos: Press > and < to speed up and slow down the video respectively.
33. To view all keyboard shortcuts: Press ?.
34. To use mouse as laser pointer in PowerPoint: hold Ctrl + Left click. Mouse cursors are too mainstream. Stay cool with laser.
35. To open your PowerPoint file in presentation mode directly: Right click on the file, then select Show.
36. To shrink an Excel file size: save it as .xslb.
VLC Media Player have some little-known keyboard shortcuts that are really useful:
37. To fix out-of-sync audio: Press J and K to move the audio back and forward respectively.
38. To save your time watching videos: Press ] and [ to speed up and slow down the video respectively, by 0.1x. For example, you can save about 14 minutes if you watch a 2.5 hours movie 0.1x faster, without any noticeable difference.
39. To get discounts when online shopping: Leave after you reach the checkout page. Most online stores will follow-up within 1 – 3 days by offering you coupons via email. Shopping cart abandonment is a big headache to retailers and most retailers have configured their email systems to send out discount emails automatically.
40. To install Java without annoying 3rd party sponsor offers: Disable them by following these steps.